Friday, June 26, 2009

Data Collection Glitches...

My head hurts...

For the past one week, I've been dealing with what I call 'ICT glitches'. I've been collecting and compiling data from schools and for the most part, it's been a breeze. However, the glitches which sit like a pebble in my shoe are quite numerous.

I've been given data in MS Word format, despite the fact that I distributed an MS Excel template. Try copy and paste data from MS Word to MS Excel and multiply that by about 400 entries. I guarantee a frustrating time.

I've been given incomplete information, resulting in the following exchanges:

Me : But this is not complete.
X : Yes, I cannot get the info.
Me : WHY??
X : The individuals forgot their serial number.
Me : Isn't it in their document?
X : They don't know where they put their document.
Me : There are two documents that contain this info.
X : Yes, they cannot find either one.
Me : ><

A similar exchange:
Me : But this is not complete.
X : Yes, I cannot get the info.
Me : WHY??
X : The individuals forgot their serial number.
Me : Isn't it in their document?
X : Uh...they don't have the doc anymore.
Me : You mean, they saw their result and they crumpled the document into a ball and tossed it into the sky.
X : Uh...*deer-caught-in-the-spotlight-look*
Me : ><

But for me, the most painful is not an ICT glitch...it's a human glitch.

X : Good morning, may I know what I'm supposed to hand in?

ARGGGHHHH, I WANNA GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!

Some information has been modified or altered in the above post to protect the identities of certain people.

1 comment:

Julian said...

I'd agree with you that 99% glitches are mainly human triggered. I worked in this industry so I know how many humans tried to get away by blaming the system only to find out that I have proven them wrong... LOL