Skip to main content

Data Collection Glitches...

My head hurts...

For the past one week, I've been dealing with what I call 'ICT glitches'. I've been collecting and compiling data from schools and for the most part, it's been a breeze. However, the glitches which sit like a pebble in my shoe are quite numerous.

I've been given data in MS Word format, despite the fact that I distributed an MS Excel template. Try copy and paste data from MS Word to MS Excel and multiply that by about 400 entries. I guarantee a frustrating time.

I've been given incomplete information, resulting in the following exchanges:

Me : But this is not complete.
X : Yes, I cannot get the info.
Me : WHY??
X : The individuals forgot their serial number.
Me : Isn't it in their document?
X : They don't know where they put their document.
Me : There are two documents that contain this info.
X : Yes, they cannot find either one.
Me : ><

A similar exchange:
Me : But this is not complete.
X : Yes, I cannot get the info.
Me : WHY??
X : The individuals forgot their serial number.
Me : Isn't it in their document?
X : Uh...they don't have the doc anymore.
Me : You mean, they saw their result and they crumpled the document into a ball and tossed it into the sky.
X : Uh...*deer-caught-in-the-spotlight-look*
Me : ><

But for me, the most painful is not an ICT glitch...it's a human glitch.

X : Good morning, may I know what I'm supposed to hand in?

ARGGGHHHH, I WANNA GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!

Some information has been modified or altered in the above post to protect the identities of certain people.

Comments

Julian said…
I'd agree with you that 99% glitches are mainly human triggered. I worked in this industry so I know how many humans tried to get away by blaming the system only to find out that I have proven them wrong... LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition 2009

Another great opportunity for our young people to show what they can do! The Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition has four different age bands, 'Classes'. Each Class offers five topics, plus the Commonwealth Question and the Charlton Athletic Community Trust Question. As we hope to reach a diverse student body across the Commonwealth, there are options for both academic and creative minds.  The Competition deadline is 1st March 2009   CLASS A - Born 1990-1992  1400-1750 words  All questions can be answered by writing an essay or a story which explores the topic in an interesting and relevant way.   Can I help you?  Bullying is an issue which concerns young people throughout the Commonwealth. Why does it matter and what can be done about it?   It is 200 years since Charles Darwin was born and 150 years since the publication of "On the origin of Species". In your view, what evolutionary developments are neede...

Friends That Last The Mile

I have friends who have been with me from schooldays or campus days.... we've been through happy times, stressful moments... even anger and long silences. But when I think of them, I feel a warmth deep inside my heart for they have lasted the mile.  After all these years, they still want to be my friends :)  I told a friend once that when you put your trust in a friend, you are giving that person a knife, which he can choose to put away and never use.  Or stab you in the back.  But I didn't tell that friend that it is possible to survive stabs in the back and still remain friends with the other.  It takes time for the wound to stop bleeding and the heart to forgive, but it is possible. --------------------- There's X, who shared many adventures with me, even though there were points of friction between the two of us.  But I would like to think that deep inside, both of us see beyond those points of conflict.  I appreciate her for being willing to share many enterprises ...

How Challenging Teaching In Sabah Can Be

As a teacher, I have had many memorable experiences but one of the most fascinating has got to be observing my colleagues from other states as they deal with their first days in Sabah. Born and bred in Sabah, I never really had much reason or opportunity to question what sort of image Sabah presented to the outside world (which includes other states in Malaysia) until I went to university in Kuala Lumpur.  And, of course, when I began working as a teacher. My first inkling of how 'scary' Sabah can be to outsiders came during my third year in university.  I had coursemates who quickly got married ... it was the first time I had ever heard of 'nikah gantung'.  Apparently, they could get married but it was a sort of 'marriage on hold' (if such a thing exists..).  What mattered was that they could get a marriage certificate that would help 'save' them from the jungles of Sabah and Sarawak.  Then, during the briefing I attended to receive my first posti...