Skip to main content

Income Tax Megrims

Income tax returns and I haven't been on good terms for the past ten years.

It all began in 2000 with a letter from the LHDN office in Kuala Lumpur demanding money.  From statements, the letters steadily degenerated into reminders and then thinly-veiled threats.  So, like any dutiful citizen, I trotted off to the LHDN office in Bandaran Berjaya (the old office) and tried to pay. 

Lo and behold, the counter staff refused to accept my money.  They kept insisting that I didn't owe them any money.  I told them that the income tax payments were for my account when I was unmarried.  However they'd deleted that account.  And under my new account, I had no debts.  So I went into a small room where an officer looked at my file and then told me to go home.  Six months later, I got another letter from Kuala Lumpur, telling me that I still hadn't paid (no kidding???) and that I was in danger of losing my limbs.  Hmm, I'm kidding about the latter.  But it was no laughing matter. 

So off I went to the LHDN office again, in a more aggressive mode.  After some letter-waving and gesticulating, I was told to fill in a form and told me to go home (again!) so they could find out what was wrong. 

Later on, I was told that they had misplaced my file and were also in the midst of moving office.  But I went back again and was informed that I had four accounts!   One under my old IC number, another under my new IC number,, the third under some strange series of numbers that the officers themselves didn't understand and the fourth under my husband's account.  By this time, I was reduced to begging them to PLEASE solve my problem.

In the meantime, LHDN Kuala Lumpur kept sending me love letters.  I was beginning to feel very wanted.

By 2007, they had moved into a building of their own and were busy converting everything into bits and bytes.  So I went again.  By this time, they were able to pull up my file from the database and check my account right in front of me.  Lo and behold, I had three accounts now.  Was that an improvement?  One under the same old strange series of numbers and the other two under my husband's account.  That made me sit up and feel a rush of adrenaline.  As far as I knew, when a husband's account is 1234567, his wife's account is 1234567(1) and his SECOND wife's account will be 123467(2)!  Seeing my eyes widen and my face turn red, the officer quickly told me,"Oh but the second account is also under your name!"  And he said something like 'so his second wife also has your name..haha..' 

By this time, I was extremely tired of having multiple accounts.  In one account, they owed me money.  In the other, I owed them.  And the offices in Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu didn't seem to be linked.  Imagine P demanding  payment and Q refusing to accept said payment.  At one point, I asked sarcastically if perhaps I was supposed to go to Kuala Lumpur to pay.  If that would solve my problem, I was fine with it. 

However, by 2008, everything was solved.  Now I have only one income tax account and my husband doesn't have another wife. 

THEN last month, I got a letter from the dears again.  Telling me to pay.  Again. 

This time, I took leave from the office (I was sure it wouldn't be just a lunch break thing).  I carried all my files and dressed official.  Somehow they tend to treat you 'better' if you dress official.  And what a relief... it wasn't an old megrim.  No, they have just started asking the citizens to pay for NEXT YEAR's tax return.  And I hadn't even submitted the current year's tax return. 

What have I learned from all this?

First, I suspect they had courses on How To Intimidate Citizens Into Paying.  I imagine they are told to sprinkle the letters with liberal doses of frightening words.  My least favourite is Without Prejudice.  As far as I'm concerned, this is rubbish.  If they are truly 'without prejudice', then why mention deadlines and further action?

Second, patience doesn't solve your tax problems.  They just pile penalties on top.

Third, technology may make things easier but it also expedites errors.

Fourth, citizens hardly ever win income tax battles.  They will always say that citizens should know their responsibilities.  So pay pay pay!

Comments

Unknown said…
scary moment...
RoslynCT said…
Frustrating is more like it. And when they throw penalties at you, you better find good excuses.
Unknown said…
They just went ahead and deduct my salary....no warning at all and yes like u I have several accounts...and if you owe them more than 10K they can block you from exiting Malaysia too.....Told me to come back tomorrow again and to call first cos they need to locate my file.
hobbit1964 said…
The Lord giveth.
The Government taketh away.

Popular posts from this blog

Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition 2009

Another great opportunity for our young people to show what they can do! The Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition has four different age bands, 'Classes'. Each Class offers five topics, plus the Commonwealth Question and the Charlton Athletic Community Trust Question. As we hope to reach a diverse student body across the Commonwealth, there are options for both academic and creative minds.  The Competition deadline is 1st March 2009   CLASS A - Born 1990-1992  1400-1750 words  All questions can be answered by writing an essay or a story which explores the topic in an interesting and relevant way.   Can I help you?  Bullying is an issue which concerns young people throughout the Commonwealth. Why does it matter and what can be done about it?   It is 200 years since Charles Darwin was born and 150 years since the publication of "On the origin of Species". In your view, what evolutionary developments are needed to ensure the continuing

A Teacher's Heartbreak

What breaks my heart every time it happens is watching a student fail to continue his or her studies because of financial barriers. I have lost count of the times I have personally witnessed a student do well in exams but cannot continue because of money problems.  C was one of the top three students in a previous STPM exam.  She could've easily got a place in university but for reasons known only to her, she chose to help her family in their shop.  Q was in the top TWO in his school in an SPM exam.... but family pressures and financial obligations steered him away from a confirmed place in matriculation.  Now I do not know where he is. J was the TOP student in a school.... but because his father didn't live up to his responsibility as a parent, J dropped out of school. I cry inside when I see these things happening for I know education is their best route to a brighter future.  I feel so so SO frustrated because if it is not their own family that 'drags' them down,

What Can I Say?

I can't say much. So I'll just share lyrics from a song. 'Life Will Pass' Moments full of happiness Of sweet youth days, Nothing to do, you cannot bring them back, Fate is not to be controlled, it is not. Those days will be a thing of the past, Where dreams and fantasies are intertwined, Everything will remain an echo, When the time comes to think. The life passes, passes, Fleeting like a river, May your star never go out, Until the cherished dream is achieved. The life passes, passes, Everything in this life is in vain, May your star never go out, Until the cherished dream is achieved. When the fog will cover the soul, When happiness will leave you, When you're alone in the world, Will there be someone who will understand you? And your blooming youth, It will turn into a mirage someday. No matter how you deceive yourself, but in the end Your fate is in the hands of the Almighty. The life passes, passes, Fleeting like a river, May your star never go out, Until the c