Skip to main content

Pondering Choices : Form Six Academic Teacher Post

Sigh, it's that time again.... of choices, dilemmas, adjustments and ANGST.

Yesterday was a deadline for the Form Six Academic Teacher Post applicants to verify their data with the Unit Naik Pangkat (Promotions Unit?) of the Sabah Edu Dept. As I have already moved to the District Education Office, I had to contact my previous school to do the verification. The teachers were whispering about a possible appointment briefing in March or April. Hmmm, wonder what that would mean for me.

A Senior Assistant friend of mine sat for an hour, unloading all her grief related to this promotional exercise. There were teachers who applied for posts in Phase One but didn't get any offer, while others who applied in Phase Two were given offers. So the aggrieved teachers were complaining to her, asking why how who what and whyyyyy...(imagine sad eyes and upset hearts). I think (my own personal opinion, okay??) that this may have happened because a number of teachers in Phase One turned down the offers and some options had too many applicants while others had too few.

Yet another friend emailed me, asking me for my opinion about the post. She told me that her school principal encouraged her to take up the DG48 Form Six Academic Teacher post that they were expecting to be offered to her.

This is the gist of what I shared with her :

One, in the Form 6 Acad Teacher job grade, the highest grade is DG52 at this point in time. For Master Teachers, the highest is JUSA. Those in admin can hope for higher grades. This isn't an issue of being greedy but logically, if you have a choice between a job grade with a ceiling of DG52 and another grade with a ceiling of JUSA, then it is better to go for the latter. There is a big difference between the two job grades. However, if you are offered the Form 6 post and turn it down in hope of a better offer, what will you do if that 'better offer' doesn't materialise? I asked a principal who I trust very much in matters such as this and she said that perhaps it would be better to have a bird in hand than two in the bush.

Two, the Form 6 Acad Teacher job grade is a new one. I worry that it may take years for the powers-that-be to plan and implement better opportunities for those in the job grade. Right now, my honest opinion is that it isn't the best choice available to teachers. I welcome other opinions contrary to this and would like to be convinced that the job grade IS a very good place to be. You see, I say this because I have looked at one particular situation in a school I shall not identify. The school has three DG48 posts and one DG52 post. The teacher occupying the DG52 post will be retiring in about three years' time. The three teachers in the DG48 posts are about the same level of seniority. Who among them will be promoted to that post? Perhaps the dept will 'import' a more senior teacher from another school. In the meantime, what happens to the three teachers in DG48? They either wait for the the 'more senior teacher' to retire O_O and battle it out among themselves for the post. Or they pray for a vacancy in a school elsewhere. There aren't that many schools with Form Six in Sabah.

Three, talking about choosing between admin and teaching, if one likes to teach, then it would be better to choose the academic posts (Form 6 or Master Teacher). I'd go for the Master Teacher post anytime. Yes, it's not an easy post to aspire to. But if you dare to hold such a post, then you better start polishing those teacher skills, right? Too many people want the pay but don't want the job. I get really irritated with such teachers. I sometimes feel like asking them what planet they come from. But if you like admin, then go for admin by all means. There are more admin posts than any other promotional post. Every school needs admin but not every school offers Form 6 classes.

So much to consider... but the bottom line is... if I am offered the Form Six Academic Teacher post with no other offer in sight, I will take it. That is such an easy decision to make because I love teaching. But my choice and my opinion isn't applicable to others. Every teacher in this position will just have to think it out for themselves.
The last time I blogged about this, I got a few brickbats. And some new friends. I consider that part of a learning experience. And I got more information about Form Six posts. So it wasn't a waste of time.

I wonder what I will get from this post...LOL... :) I would LOVE it if someone could see loopholes in what I have blogged. This is my possible future too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kolej matrikulasi lectures are elligible to apply for Cemerlang post, same as teacher. Probably F6 also have cemerlang post till jusa c.
RoslynCT said…
Anonymous, you are right :D ... I don't suppose there is anything wrong for a Form 6 teacher to apply for a Guru Cemerlang post.

Popular posts from this blog

Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition 2009

Another great opportunity for our young people to show what they can do! The Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition has four different age bands, 'Classes'. Each Class offers five topics, plus the Commonwealth Question and the Charlton Athletic Community Trust Question. As we hope to reach a diverse student body across the Commonwealth, there are options for both academic and creative minds.  The Competition deadline is 1st March 2009   CLASS A - Born 1990-1992  1400-1750 words  All questions can be answered by writing an essay or a story which explores the topic in an interesting and relevant way.   Can I help you?  Bullying is an issue which concerns young people throughout the Commonwealth. Why does it matter and what can be done about it?   It is 200 years since Charles Darwin was born and 150 years since the publication of "On the origin of Species". In your view, what evolutionary developments are needed to ensure the continuing

A Teacher's Heartbreak

What breaks my heart every time it happens is watching a student fail to continue his or her studies because of financial barriers. I have lost count of the times I have personally witnessed a student do well in exams but cannot continue because of money problems.  C was one of the top three students in a previous STPM exam.  She could've easily got a place in university but for reasons known only to her, she chose to help her family in their shop.  Q was in the top TWO in his school in an SPM exam.... but family pressures and financial obligations steered him away from a confirmed place in matriculation.  Now I do not know where he is. J was the TOP student in a school.... but because his father didn't live up to his responsibility as a parent, J dropped out of school. I cry inside when I see these things happening for I know education is their best route to a brighter future.  I feel so so SO frustrated because if it is not their own family that 'drags' them down,

What Can I Say?

I can't say much. So I'll just share lyrics from a song. 'Life Will Pass' Moments full of happiness Of sweet youth days, Nothing to do, you cannot bring them back, Fate is not to be controlled, it is not. Those days will be a thing of the past, Where dreams and fantasies are intertwined, Everything will remain an echo, When the time comes to think. The life passes, passes, Fleeting like a river, May your star never go out, Until the cherished dream is achieved. The life passes, passes, Everything in this life is in vain, May your star never go out, Until the cherished dream is achieved. When the fog will cover the soul, When happiness will leave you, When you're alone in the world, Will there be someone who will understand you? And your blooming youth, It will turn into a mirage someday. No matter how you deceive yourself, but in the end Your fate is in the hands of the Almighty. The life passes, passes, Fleeting like a river, May your star never go out, Until the c