Monday, June 30, 2008

What Happens When You Don't Have A Thesaurus

I'm sitting at my table, checking my email while keeping an eye on my five-year-old who is wrenching the life out of his PS2's joystick.  He insists on calling it a remote...well, whatever.

This particular game he's playing is both entertaining and horrifying me. 
The warthogs trying to flatten a panda are entertaining. 
The lines scrolling across the screen at the beginning of every episode horrify me.

Long ago, in a time of ancient timeless time....

(Huh?)

Legend tells of a legendary warrior whose skills are the stuff of legend...

(OMG.)

Haven't the game writers heard of a thesaurus???? 
Now I'm not only worried about the violence level...I'm worried about the dearth of creative vocabulary on offer!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ros,
Simply shocking isn't it (the game and the language)? I find that a lot of kids are playing very violent computer/tv games these days, and some games are just horrendous!!

Wow, Dylan 5 already? So fast they grow ya? Hmm that means Ian is 5 too :-) ahhh I can feel the age thingy!!!

Beth

Anonymous said...

all this while i have been skipping the (what i thought were) boring intros. but now i will slow down and read every line before jabbing the start button!

roslyn said...

Uh...you might prefer to jab that start button straightaway!