Skip to main content

Why I'm Still Not Bored After All These Years

When I first became a teacher, it surprised many of my friends.  I suppose there were different reasons... I wasn't obvious teacher material when I was in school.  I was too much of  a class clown at times, too bookish to front a classroom at other times... but the one person who was most surprised was myself.  The only reason that mattered to me was how I viewed the teaching profession as a boring one.  And I was more easily bored than I should be. 

I wanted to be a journalist with different assignments every time and never the same view to look at (so I supposed).  Unfortunately for me, the year I applied for a course in university was also the year major riots took place in my hometown and my mother was traumatised to see the reporters (and specifically one who was brother to my aunt) getting the best views in between the Federal Reserve Units and the rioters.  1986.. what a year.  Just a year earlier and I could have been a reporter now.  Ah well.  So I said okay, let's just get into a university with minimum trauma to the parental units.  My dad would've been 'traumatised' by my mum's drama if I had just steamrollered over her objections. 

I gave myself two years to work in a school before abdicating.  But before I realised it, it's been 24 years.  Have I been bored?  No.  Stressed?  Traumatised?  Amused?  Shocked?  Exasperated?  Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.  And more.

Shockingly there was much for me to find fascinating in school.  Besides the students and the multifarious ways their minds could twist and warp, school offered unlimited options for fun and discovery.  Of course I had to find these fun 'projects' myself.  One year, it was scuba diving lessons (teachers and students get discounts!).  Another year, it was weeks spent in various environmentally-amazing and refreshing spots like Batu Niah, Langkawi and Port Dickson.  Another time it was debate sessions in various towns and cities (for both students and teachers).  And that was just when I was a teacher in school.  Not counting the nine years I was in the administrative departments.

And still I meet colleagues who think it is boring.  Well, it wouldn't be boring if you looked for projects to do.  Even if just to put a fresh spin on the day.

So what am I doing now?  Last week, I came across a really fascinating singer on YouTube called Dimash Kudaibergen.  Besides his unique vocals, unusual ways of interpreting songs and an incredible ability to touch people's hearts via songs they don't understand, he also chose wonderful songstories to breathe life into. Okay, that sounded snarky but I'm serious about the way his singing could pull you in and make you laugh or cry. 

Part of my arsenal as an English language teacher is the bringing of stories into my classes.  My young students (fresh escapees from Form Five) usually need lots of input about the 'world out there'.  And also the world within their souls.  The easiest way to expose them to such things is to bring new stories into their classroom, preferably presented in an appealing package.  Happily for me, Dimash is a very appealing package.  Only 23 years of age, he looks like one of those Korean stars who are so important to my students. From the Chinese program 'The Singer 2017' alone, I have already identified five different stories to bring into my classes.

1. Culture Conflict (Song : Late Autumn)
2. Broken Promises (Song : Daididau) - although it turned out his wife hadn't really left him
3. Despair (Song : SOS d'un terrien en detresse)
4. How A Child Feels About Loss of Parents (Song : Daybreak)
5. Our Weeping Earth (Earth Song)
At the very least, I will have opened my students' eyes to opera (in small doses), songs in Mandarin, Kazakh, French, English... and of course, gorgeous and crazily-talented Dimash.
   

   

Comments

Serenadez said…
*hugs* Good to see that your fire and passion is still going after all the years of being in the same profession. I'm so proud of you, big sis! xD

Popular posts from this blog

Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition 2009

Another great opportunity for our young people to show what they can do! The Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition has four different age bands, 'Classes'. Each Class offers five topics, plus the Commonwealth Question and the Charlton Athletic Community Trust Question. As we hope to reach a diverse student body across the Commonwealth, there are options for both academic and creative minds.  The Competition deadline is 1st March 2009   CLASS A - Born 1990-1992  1400-1750 words  All questions can be answered by writing an essay or a story which explores the topic in an interesting and relevant way.   Can I help you?  Bullying is an issue which concerns young people throughout the Commonwealth. Why does it matter and what can be done about it?   It is 200 years since Charles Darwin was born and 150 years since the publication of "On the origin of Species". In your view, what evolutionary developments are needed to ensure the continuing

What Can I Say?

I can't say much. So I'll just share lyrics from a song. 'Life Will Pass' Moments full of happiness Of sweet youth days, Nothing to do, you cannot bring them back, Fate is not to be controlled, it is not. Those days will be a thing of the past, Where dreams and fantasies are intertwined, Everything will remain an echo, When the time comes to think. The life passes, passes, Fleeting like a river, May your star never go out, Until the cherished dream is achieved. The life passes, passes, Everything in this life is in vain, May your star never go out, Until the cherished dream is achieved. When the fog will cover the soul, When happiness will leave you, When you're alone in the world, Will there be someone who will understand you? And your blooming youth, It will turn into a mirage someday. No matter how you deceive yourself, but in the end Your fate is in the hands of the Almighty. The life passes, passes, Fleeting like a river, May your star never go out, Until the c

I've Survived the PTK3 DG44 Course!

I've just returned from my PTK3 DG44 course and my first priority was sleep. But now I'm okay and ready to share info. First off, whoever tells you you don't need to memorize info for the PTK3 level of exam either has never sat for the exam or has photographic memory. I had to memorize the Twelve Pillars (Tonggak12), 16 moral values (nilai2 murni), civil servant ethics code, education ministry ethics code, steps in TQM, and ALL the govt vision aims objectives policies ... (hint: acronyms help). I only wish I'd done this BEFORE I went for the exam course. Second, the key word for this course is APPLICATION. They don't want to hear about the latest discoveries, theories or how long your bibliography pages are. They want to know how you translate govt policy into a plan of action. Third, don't take the assignment (15-25 pages) lightly. First thing to do is understand the question. Next is prepare an answer that fulfils all requirements. I'd advise you t