Skip to main content

Scammers On My Phone

 Be very careful when you get calls informing you that your IC has been used to open a company or register a phone line or even sent to an address in a box.  These calls are usually from scammers because police or LHDN ppl will ask you to go to the office or station.  They will not discuss such things on the phone.

A lot of these calls are done on public holidays or weekends or times outside working hours.  They will sound very reasonable and tell you that you need to go to a police station or some where.  My personal experience is that I have been required to go to a police station in Seremban or Ipoh.  Yes, I am very unfortunate to have received two of these calls.  The first one was during lockdown in 2020 and it was from Pos Malaysia (so they said).  They claimed I sent my bank card and IC to an address in Ipoh via Poslaju.  They asked me if I knew it was a crime to send such items via post.  I said it is a moot point because I would never do such a thing.  How would I get money out of my bank if I'm busy sending my bank cards to God-knows-who.  As for my IC... well, I told them only idiots do that.  However they said I am still in trouble because the package was in my name.  So they insisted I go over to Ipoh.  During lockdown time, are they nuts?  So I said okay I'll talk to the local police about it.  They said I can't do that because the crime happened in Ipoh so I had to go to Ipoh.  And they could help me by passing my call to their police contact.  Wow, they had a direct line with a police officer.  It seems crimes happen a lot in Poslaju. (I'm being sarcastic.)  So I said it's okay, I have buddies in the local police station and I would talk to them about taking the next flight to Ipoh.  Then they ended the call by saying I seemed to be unaware of how much trouble I was in.  Well, I would be in really serious trouble if I didn't start thinking of where to get some hand sanitiser.  I was running out.  Needless to say, I never bothered to go to any police station.  So far no SWAT Team has rushed over to my house to take me into custody.

The second call was two weeks ago.  On a weekend.  Just when I was about to have a nice piece of cake with hot tea.  This time I was informed that I had been implicated in some criminal money laundering thing because a phone number I registered in Seremban had been used.  I said I had no phone line in Seremban.  Plus it would have been impossible for me to register a phone line in August as it was MCO time (or whatever version of MCO, I have lost track).  But apparently my IC had been used to register this company, so now I was in trouble.  And of course, I HAD to go to Seremban police station that day itself.  This time I told them okay I'll go after I arrange for swabs and after I go to the local police station because I can't just fly over to Seremban without some sort of official documentation to show my boss.  (I was just talking while waiting for them to offer to pass my call to some police officer on direct line with them.)  Then they got around to the 'I can transfer the call to bla bla bla who will be able to help you... bla bla bla...'  So finally I told them that I don't know about such things and I usually let my husband handle all my criminal cases, as he was a police inspector.  They ended the call with a 'You are in serious trouble... you don't seem to realise it.'  I did realise my tea was getting cold.  And when I told my husband, he only said hrm.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition 2009

Another great opportunity for our young people to show what they can do! The Royal Commonwealth Essay Competition has four different age bands, 'Classes'. Each Class offers five topics, plus the Commonwealth Question and the Charlton Athletic Community Trust Question. As we hope to reach a diverse student body across the Commonwealth, there are options for both academic and creative minds.  The Competition deadline is 1st March 2009   CLASS A - Born 1990-1992  1400-1750 words  All questions can be answered by writing an essay or a story which explores the topic in an interesting and relevant way.   Can I help you?  Bullying is an issue which concerns young people throughout the Commonwealth. Why does it matter and what can be done about it?   It is 200 years since Charles Darwin was born and 150 years since the publication of "On the origin of Species". In your view, what evolutionary developments are neede...

Friends That Last The Mile

I have friends who have been with me from schooldays or campus days.... we've been through happy times, stressful moments... even anger and long silences. But when I think of them, I feel a warmth deep inside my heart for they have lasted the mile.  After all these years, they still want to be my friends :)  I told a friend once that when you put your trust in a friend, you are giving that person a knife, which he can choose to put away and never use.  Or stab you in the back.  But I didn't tell that friend that it is possible to survive stabs in the back and still remain friends with the other.  It takes time for the wound to stop bleeding and the heart to forgive, but it is possible. --------------------- There's X, who shared many adventures with me, even though there were points of friction between the two of us.  But I would like to think that deep inside, both of us see beyond those points of conflict.  I appreciate her for being willing to share many enterprises ...

How Challenging Teaching In Sabah Can Be

As a teacher, I have had many memorable experiences but one of the most fascinating has got to be observing my colleagues from other states as they deal with their first days in Sabah. Born and bred in Sabah, I never really had much reason or opportunity to question what sort of image Sabah presented to the outside world (which includes other states in Malaysia) until I went to university in Kuala Lumpur.  And, of course, when I began working as a teacher. My first inkling of how 'scary' Sabah can be to outsiders came during my third year in university.  I had coursemates who quickly got married ... it was the first time I had ever heard of 'nikah gantung'.  Apparently, they could get married but it was a sort of 'marriage on hold' (if such a thing exists..).  What mattered was that they could get a marriage certificate that would help 'save' them from the jungles of Sabah and Sarawak.  Then, during the briefing I attended to receive my first posti...